[Moved Blog Post] And Little makes four….

Baby 2.0!

One Sunday morning, after a family breakfast of pancakes, we got a phone call from Surrey Memorial Hospital asking us to come in at 10:30am for an induction. We got ready and kissed Big (and Only, at the time…) goodbye (he stayed home with my mom, who arrived the day before from the Yukon and was staying with us) and figured we would be home to put him back to bed for nap in two hours.

Yeah, that didn’t happen!

Upon arrival, I was asked for a urine sample. I totally forgot to catch my sample but being pregnant, I knew I could stand up, grab the cup and then catch another stream. The sample I got wasn’t urine… My water broke!

I noticed an odd colour to it so called the nurse who confirmed what I was guessing : There was meconium present. It’s pretty common, but can cause complications upon birth as they could breathe it in when they take their first breath.

After an internal exam, the midwife said that I was still the same as my appointment nearly a week before. My cervix was still posterior and only 2cm dilated. She encouraged me to walk to help contractions along but the OB who had to be called (due to the meconium) suggested to start oxytocin. I walked the hallways for twenty minutes, which was the most they could allow me before I had to go back on the fetal monitor, and there was starting to be some slight cramping and starts of contractions but nothing serious yet. I was set up with an IV drip while there was debate of starting oxycontin or not and then my contractions finally started to progress on their own.

Four months pregnant… Only four…

My doula set up the TENS machine to help me with the pain. I wish I had this with my first! It definitely helped with the pain. It’s little pads that stick to your back and they cause an almost massage-like feeling that you increase during contractions. It gave me something to focus on during the pain of the contractions.

By noon, an hour and fifteen minutes after my water broke, the contractions were officially regular and strong. And all natural. The oxytocin wasn’t started and wasn’t needed. I continued to labour naturally and was progressing fabulously!

Love at first sight

At 1pm, I was finally in full blown labour. The contractions were coming fast and hard.

Around 2:15p, the nurse suggested to use the bathroom and upon sitting down, it suddenly felt like I needed to push… Just moments after being told I was only 6cm dilated. I tore with my first so was anxious about pushing too early, and well, 6cm is MUCH too early!

They got me onto the bed and one hard contraction later, I was 10cm and ready to push. Again, due to the meconium, there was some urgency to make sure baby was out and looked over by the paediatrician as soon as possible. Baby’s heart rate was also dropping, likely caused by being compressed during the fast and furious transition phase of labour, but it was causing more pressure (no pun intended) to get baby out. My midwife was very firm about telling me to push, and getting me to listen to her, when all I wanted to do was take a moment to catch my breath between the first and second push. The birthing team were all wonderful, even if at the time I was cursing them (inside my head, of course) for being demanding that I push.

Daddy snuggles

It took one-and-a-half pushes to get Baby Applesauce into the world. Four minutes of pushing. (Yes, you can hate me now) The paediatrician scooped him up, took him to the warmer, gave him a check over. He needed a bit of help

with his first gasp and some clearing of his airway. He got a high score on the Apgar scale and he was soon placed in my arms. Hungry, the little guy made his way over and latched on like a champ!
All the worry from the past four hours melted away as I held him in my arms. He was a spitting image of Big at birth. Dark hair, blue-grey eyes and a smushed little face full of rage! He has much chubbier cheeks and was nearly a full pound heavier than him, but the resemblance was definitely there! His head was a bit more round than Big’s, as well.

Jason left shortly after Little was born so that he could pick up my mom and Big from the house and bring them out to meet Baby 2.0 and then dropped them off for dinner at Jason’s parents house, where we had been hoping to make it in time for Thanksgiving dinner.

We were discharged six hours after he was born, at about 9pm. We were glad for our short stay in the hospital and to be home and in our own bed that night. On our way home from the hospital, we stopped at Jason’s parents house to show off Little to his Grandma, Grandpa, Uncle and Auntie.


We adjusted quite quickly at home. Big loved the role of big brother. I loved seeing the bond between the two of them, right from the start. There were moments of “I’ve got this!” with some “OMFG, what did I do to myself?!?” sprinkled in during those first few months,

Little has been giving us a run for our money from before we even found out we were pregnant. And his first few years old life has not been any different!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: